Monday, 19 January 2015

Crewel sampler update

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year.
I know is a bit late ,.. maybe very late but can you believe did not get the chance to breath yet this year .
Between Celebrations , lace doing , having a fall down the stairs and lots of classes I did not even realise is nearly end of Jan.
I will try to take it one by one.
 My little owl is done all in DMC cotton and I have to say a love it . Is very shiny and very delicate , comparative with rest of the sampler .
Anyway took my quite a lot of time as was done in one single strand of cotton I could say like the silk shading techniques.

In this one here wanted to show the square which is kind of cord couched which I actually learnt from Tracy's Franklin face book page .This is taking very long maybe to long for my like but is a good exercise because I have to say I always seems to loose the strait forward direction :( :(
Now ... at the end of this week I have a trip to Hampton to start my Goldwork embroidery  module which was so much waited for. I am bit apprehensive but very excited too. Hope to have a better experience than with the black work . Anyway can't wait to get back my black work  piece .

Hope to get some time to make some updates about the trip to London soon as I start the work

Happy crafting all

Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Crewel Embroidery -- past and present - series

So you did manage to get  all the tools needed for starting your embroidery
Well you may still need to choose your fabric base for the embroidery  which I would say is very important and have to be chosen in accordance with the use of your project .
For framed thinks or soft furnishing you be very well to get the linen twill but this days we find harder and harder to get the good stuff.

     linen twill pic
So I find a good replacement for the linen twill which is linen union

linen union pic

Is not having that grain going on from left to right but as a texture is not very far .
Anyway I think any cotton fabric which is a bit stronger than the normal linen or batik is good in off .
Very important is the tension in your frame to keep the shape of the project correct.
Once the fabric chosen you have to go to the next  step which is the design .
You can use a kit ready made by few of the companies which still selling this kits :
The crewel Company 
Royal School of Needlework 
and I am sure you can find many many more .
I usually try to do my own designs as they are unique and cheap in same time. All I need is a piece paper the size of the work I want to do , a computer for some inspiration and lots more imagination  .
I get little pieces from here from there , I adapt them to my  required size , some time I loose or add little bits and here I come with the design .
Once I am happy with my drawing I try a bit of colouring in to get a better idea of the final piece of work I want to get done .
Then choose my stitches which usually change few times , and this is not because they don't work just because I usually forgot  to check often my design .

Well we will get back soon for a following up in this process.

Happy crafting all

Friday, 5 December 2014

Crewel Embroidery -- past and present

Crewel embroidery is impressive as is done freestyle.
 Traditionally, crewelwork is done on linen twill because of its strength, grain and color which go with all sorts of designs, but many different fabrics can be used today.
Crewel wool is much thicker than silk or cotton thread, so it has a textured, colorful effect and creates a raised, dimensional feel.
Crewel embroidery designs range from modern to traditional patterns inspired by nature, featuring floral and animal patterns with stylized vines and leaves which usually are out of proportion .
You can see the odd proportions from the picture below .
 Starting a crewel embroidery

The first step is choosing the right material.
Crewel embroidery backings need to be firmly woven with medium weight fabric. Having linen in the fabric content is preferred because it allows the fabric enough ‘give’ for when the needle and thread goes through and closes behind it.

Crewelwork requires an embroidery hoop or frame to spread the fabric. This creates an even tension so patterns will not distort after completion.


Anyway , a good needle is  the most important tool. Crewel needles are very sharp, usually with a large slender eye and thick shaft, which is great for weaving or whipping stitches.

 Well the next step I may have to talk you  thru another day 
So keep checking the site as next will be drawing down the design in a traditional way .

Happy crafting all